- Blues. Any standard blues head. Be prepared to play multiple choruses of soloing.
- One contrasting tune that falls into any one of these stylistic categories, including at least one chorus of soloing:
- Medium swing
- Up-tempo swing
The competition will take place with a live rhythm section—piano, bass, drums. Please include the names of the tunes you are choosing to play on the registration form and be sure to include the concert pitch key you intend to play them in.
- Winners may be offered an opportunity to perform on a concert during the symposium, at the discretion of the judges
- Copy of original work by Mark Taylor for horn and rhythm section
Dates to know:
- Early Registration ends May 1, 2020
- Competition date Thursday, August 6, 2020
Jazz Competition Rules and Regulations
- All competitors entering the competition must be registered for the full week of IHS 52 by May 1, 2020.
- All competitors are responsible for their own travel, room and board, IHS 52 registration, etc.
- The competition will be held on Thursday, August 7, 2020
- The IHS 52 Jazz Horn Competition Committee has the right to cancel a winner at no cost to IHS 52 if the winner fails to abide by all Jazz Horn Competition Rules and Regulations.
- For those wishing to apply for multiple competitions, please submit separate forms.
- Winners will have the opportunity to perform on the Emerging Artists recital on Friday, August 7, 2020 at 1pm.